Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Packing

Packing is an art form all on it's own. There are so many things to consider that not many of us get it right. There's the weight of the collective items, how you will wear (or not wear?!) them, how much space you need to leave for the return journey, not to mention trying to plan for every single eventuality which may occur on your holiday.

However, after all these years of flying back and forth, I believe that I have a system that works. It's simple and cut-throat, but effective.

Firstly, I start by estimating how many outfits I will be needing. I'm going to Spain for 5 nights so have taken enough clothes for 6 occasions. However, I will have use of a washing machine if I need to re-wear anything.

I started with tops. I picked 1 which is a more statement piece, 1 cream blouse and 3 white tops - including a shirt, tank top and blouse. All can be either dressed up or down.

Next I picked out 3 pieces for the bottom half. A white, linen skirt (to match with the statement top and any of the white), a pair of neutral/grey tailored shorts (to go with everything bar the statement blouse) and my brightly coloured, chiffon maxi skirt (to go with the white tank top).



Then I thought about shoes. This is where most of the bulk in your suitcase comes from so I'm attempting to only take two pairs (one of which I'll wear to the airport). A pair of colour-pop heels (packed in a dust bag) and a pair of tan sandals. One for day, one for night. Taking only two pairs may be a bit ambitious but I plan to bring back a pair from home so I need to leave space for them.



Lastly, since I know that the weather will be mainly warm, I'm only going to take one jacket. This will be my trusty black blazer. It goes with everything (relatively), packs small and is practical for day or night.

Accessory-wise, I'm packing extra light. My Mulberry for day (packed in it's dustbag). A vintage, cream, beaded clutch for night.



Shoes and clutch in protective bags

Extras include: PJs, toiletries, bikini, underwear

Clockwise from top: Mac cream foundation, Bobbie Brown cream eye liner, Dior brown khol eye liner, Coloursport eye brow pen, Oriflame lip liner, Oriflame red lipstick, Elizabeth Arden 8hr cream, lip balm, L'Occitane face cream, Clarins pink blossom lipstick, Dior black mascara, Bare Minerals face powder, Dior J'adore eau de parfum, Maybelline dream mousse blush in mauve. Not pictured - bronzer and all make-up brushes.

I never travel without:
1. Hand cream
2. Moisteriser to use on the plane
3. Hand sanitizer
4. A pashmina/scarf for when the cabin gets chilly
5. Mobile phone and charger
6. Sunglasses
7. Paracetamol
8. Tissues
9. Hair bobble
10. Wallet
11. Lip balm

No comments:

Post a Comment