Saturday, January 1, 2011

Embroidery

Back in September, sadly, my Gran passed away. Amoungst the things she left was a piece of half-finished, hand embroidered fabric. It was made up of colourful flowers which had been stencilled on. I set about completing the piece and once I had, to make it into a cushion cover.

I bought the embroidery thread from John Lewis. They had a big selection of colours and they weren't too expensive either. I managed the match the colours pretty well and tried to mirror the techniques that she had used. I didn't quite do it as well as my Gran did but I at least manage to make my efforts blend in with her work.

Next, I wanted to make it into a cushion cover to put on our bed.

I made a pattern by tracing round the embroidered fabric and cut the pattern so that the fabric would over lap at the back. I plan to put a button in the middle to fasten it. I bought some fabric a few years ago, not knowing what to do with it and saved it till now. Luckily the fabric matches well so I set about cutting it out and sewing it.

I think it turned out quite well, I am yet to add the button but will do this when I get back to London.


























X

No comments:

Post a Comment