Friday, February 18, 2011

♥ Sabina Hannila

After the whirlwind that was London Fashion Week, I'm grateful to have a little bit more time to myself and to be able to get back to projects I was working on beforehand. I contacted Sabina Hannila a few weeks ago after seeing some of her beautiful portraits and asked her if she'd mind answering a few questions. This is the what I found out...

Sabina Hannila is a 22 year old, final year photography student from Sweden. She moved to the UK in 2009 to start her degree at UCA Farham. Sabina says she's been taking photos all her life but only came to realise how much she enjoyed it when she was 18.



As well as photography, Sabina studied music at college so hopes to combine her two passions in the future by starting her own photography business which takes her all over the world.

What is your favourite subject to photograph?

People - there's something about the human features that completes the image;
I always think something is missing if there isn't a person in it, but
It doesn't necessarely have to be a face. I guess this is because it
embodies some sort of recognition, a sense of 'knowing' what's in the image - control.



Where is your favourite place in the world?

I haven't been to that many places (yet!), but I have always felt a strong
attraction to Edinburgh in Scotland. And after i visited my dad in 2003 who
lived there at the time, I've tried to go back every year.
There's something magical about Scotland that fits in so well with my mentality
and image language. And also, I LOVE the accent!



Where do you find your inspiration?

In fairytales and myths. Most of my work is based on them, even if I often
change them quite radically to get something original out of it.
Also, my dreams are always very vivid, strange, beautiful, terrifying.. So I
get a lot of my inspiration from my dreams.



Who are your favourite photographers/photos?

One of my absolute favourite photographers is Nan Goldin because of her
(very) personal, everyday-life-based, yet strong, approach to photography.
She captures the "true" life: it's not always as beautiful as many of us
tries to trick ourselves into believe, and I admire her for sharing her
life story with us.
Everyone should read her book 'The Ballad of Sexual Dependency' , and I
can guarantee that most of you will change some of your ways of looking
at things.



To look at more of Sabina's work, visit her blog here and her portfolio here.





Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment