Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sushi


Now bare in mind when you're reading and looking at the photos, this is only the second time I've made sushi so be kind.

When we were food shopping last week, they were doing a demonstration on making sushi at home. We got all wrapped up in the excitement (sad? Perhaps.) and decided that it was indeed an easy and great way to cook and eat so proceeded to buy most of the products on the table. Great marketing guys.

They advertised a couple of different marinades for tuna and mince meat so maybe not quite the same as the traditional raw salmon but canned tuna is certainly cheaper. We bought a spicy BBQ flavour which we still have loads left over so will use it to marinade chicken wings before grilling for another meal.

To complete the set we bought 5 sheets of sea weed and sushi rice.

Now making the actual rolls I don't find too difficult. This process definitely made it easier with the convenience of pre-cooked rice (just heat in the microwave) and no fussing with thin slices of fish. We also didn't have any rolling mats but I managed to adapt a roll of thin card to do the same job. I seem to have a particular skill in the rolling - even if I do say so myself.

As a tip I learnt from the first time I rolled sushi, dipping your finger tips into a small bowl with water and a drop of vinegar in it prevents the rice from sticking uncontrollably so overall it makes the process quicker and easier.

Marinading and preparing to roll...

First batch - not too shabby

PS/ I am under NO illusion that I'll get a job in YoSushi! next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment