Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How To Dress A Little More Glam Everyday

Opening September's issue of Glamour magazine, I found this intriguing feature, and it got me thinking. What do I do each day to make myself feel a little less high street and a little more Bond Street? I'm not just going to repeat the same things the article already says about the clothes but rather go through the small details which complete a look.







This is my list:

1. A statement lip

If it's not a deep berry or a bright red then I'll go with a simple glossy pink or nude but I try to make sure that even if I'm not bothered with the rest of my face, I at least put something on my lips before leaving the house. Somehow a bit of lipstick instantly says "I've made effort".

2. Make sure my nails are always clean and polished

This is something I struggle with if it's not followed through. If my nails are chipped or messy then I, for some reason, feel sloppy all over. Or at least not complete. I'd rather have nothing on my nails (but have them clean and shaped) than a chipped colour.

3. Sneak in a wedge whenever I can

As women, when we wear heels we feel sexier, feminine and more confident. Well I atleast do. And a wedge is not as difficult to commit to as a stiletto heel (if you end up walking a mile, you aren't totally screwed) and in the words of Jessie J, you don't want to wear heels so high that you can't even have a good time. Plus, if you have a shorter hemline then I think it's nicer to have a little height over a flat.

4. Wear timeless, classic jewellery

I rarely shop for jewellery (most of it was a gift) and when I do, I pick my pieces carefully. I tend to have a small selection which I rotate depending on my mood/outfit and this consists of my Tiffany key necklace, my Grandmother's ring, clear crystal studs or Swarovski drop earrings and an occasional Swarovski bangle or bracelet.

5. If my hair is not freshly washed it goes straight into a sleek pony or bun

Earlier today I had to open my front door to my neighbour with horrific unwashed and messy hair (mine that is, not my neighbours) and it's been haunting me all day. I never usually get myself into that kind of a situation but I'd just got out of bed and obviously then had no time to put it up. Even if I'm just resting at home, I still have to have it done, even if it is just a simple pony tail. (I am distinctly aware at this point after reading through my post that I am sounding insanely vain - I assure you, this is not the case. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has these little mantras to live by...)

6. Always wear a subtle dab of perfume on the sides of my neck and inside forearms

We all like to smell nice don't we? And we all have a favourite perfume. Mine happens to be Dior's J'Adore - subtle, pretty and delicate. I love the idea of someone hugging me and getting a slight whiff of my perfume.

7. Always wear good/pretty underwear

Another perhaps anal idiosyncrasy but it really is just good sense and I just feel better about the way I look when I know I've got a good base to build upon. Not to mention it makes your clothes hang better.

So there we have it. My perhaps not so modest list of "glam" things I do every day. Well at least I'm honest and I know I'm not the only one. What do you do to give your outfit (or yourself) a little extra sparkle?

2 comments:

  1. I have a gorgeous vintage ring from my mom, and just wearing that makes me feel a bit glamourous. I think you should have those classic pieces or just putting a bit of lipstick on to give you a touch of glam when you really cant be bothered putting in the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I also have a vintage ring from my Grandmother which I love to wear - you can see it on this post http://mariasgaga.blogspot.com/2011/06/monochrome-mini.html if you want to see.

    ReplyDelete