Sunday, January 29, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes


Last week I found myself with an excessive amount of free time. And what did I decide to do with it? Bake!

This time it was red velvet cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting. I used this recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery book.

There's something about a red velvet cake that is just so enticing. It doesn't even have a very distinct flavour but I think that sumptuous red just blinds our tastebuds.

The recipe was very easy to follow and the cakes turned out exactly as it said they would. Well apart from the fact I under baked them by a few minutes (sorry Paul Hollywood...). But other than that, the colour was extremely vibrant - which can be touch and go with red velvet - the sponge a good texture and the frosting was deliciously smooth and tasty. It also made nearly the exact amount I needed without having bundles of excess which I hate.

Oh and here's another tip I learnt last year from the charming little cake shop near my house, instead of cluttering up your kitchen with numerous shaped cake tins, just buy a selection of silicon cases in different sizes. They hold up just as well as a tin, you can bake more at one time and they take up far less space in your cupboards.





No comments:

Post a Comment