Thursday, January 12, 2012

Kedgeree

Since we've come back home after the holidays, I'm making an effort to make good, home cooked food for dinner. Pretty much from June until December last year I was either working solidly or combining working part time with uni. It did not make for a happy match. I was tired, stressed and barely had time to think. So, I quit my job and I'm taking a break. Of course I still have uni but my schedule is much emptier since I finished work and I love that I can spend more time on projects. I'm not quite sure how long this will last because inevitably, as I always do, I will get frustrated with having time off and once again throw myself into having too much on my plate, but for now, I'm loving having time to cook, read, bake, write and above all, relax.

It started with a cheesecake, and now it's kedgeree.

It's something we always used to eat for dinner as children - I loved it then and I love it even more now. Simple to cook, tasty and nutritious, it's quickly becoming one of my favourite winter meals.

There are tons of different ways of cooking kedgeree (as I found out just Googling a recipe), some are super complicated and involve lots of ingredients (Jamie Oliver's) and others more simple, but I've tried out a couple and this seems to be the best yet.

It's made almost like a risotto so it turns out quite creamy, but you can alter the time you leave it on the heat for, depending on how wet you want the dish to be.

You can find the recipe here. The only thing I changed was to use single instead of double cream because I wanted it to be a tad lighter on the calorie front. Oh and I use dyed smoked haddock because that's what gives the dish it's yellow colour. That's how we always had it as kids so that's how I like it now.





1 comment:

  1. Leather colorant kits can be used to restore worn patches, large areas of co lour loss or even to change the co lour of your leather.
    For more information kindly visit:- Leather Colorant Kit

    ReplyDelete