Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cheesecake O'Clock


So we are finally back at our humble abode in South London exhausted after the holidays but also sad that it's all over.

I have a mountain of uni work to do before Tuesday but for a break - and a Saturday night treat - I made a lemon and blueberry cheesecake. After the success of her Christmas chutney, I once again reached for a Mary Berry recipe (below).

The only alterations I did were to skip the whipped cream on top because for me, it's a little cream over-kill and I replaced strawberries for blueberries for the topping. The only other thing I would say it that it didn't set too well. The recipe dictates to use the juice of 3 lemons, but I'm not so sure this is too much since it came out a little on the liquid side. I think next time I will try the zest of say, 5 lemons and the juice of just 2.

The Base: 10 digestive biscuits 2 oz (50g) butter, melted 1 oz (25g) demerara sugar

The cheesecake: 5 fl oz (150ml) single cream 1 x 14 oz (397g) can condensed milk 6 oz (175g) low-fat soft cheese, softened Grated rind and juice of 3 large lemons (tad too much perhaps?)

Topping: 5 fl oz (150ml) whipping cream, whipped Strawberries (I used frozen blueberries since fresh are out of season)

Mix together the biscuits, butter and sugar for the crust. Turn into 23 cm flan dish and press over base and into sides. Leave to set.

For the filling, mix together the cream, condensed milk, soft cheese and lemon rind, then add lemon juice a little at a time, whisking until the mixture thickens. Pour into the flan case and leave to chill in fridge for 3-4 hours or overnight.

Decorate with swirls of cream and the fruit.

PS. Sorry about the ultra naff photo. Even though I only made this at 4pm, I already had to put the (unflatteringly orange) light on because it was almost dark outside. Come on Spring...

No comments:

Post a Comment