Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What Happened Missoni?

What happened to letting those gorgeous prints of yours speak for themselves? Where is the subtlety, the class or the simple shapes of garments past? Where did all that fringing, frill and fuss come from?

Missoni's S/S 2012 collection has definitely taken inspiration from a bohemian/gypsy vibe. Perhaps mixed with a little flamenco. I love the colour palette - vibrant blues and canary yellow, rich burgundy and splashes of ochre - but I have to say, that's about it. I'm not sure why Angela Missoni has gone down this path but I feel like it's been taken a little too literally. The whole thing is over the top and you're so busy looking at all the bells and whistles that you forget what you were there for in the first place - the prints. And don't even start me on the shoes...

Such a shame. But then again, this is only my humble opinion.





2 comments:

  1. You're absolutely right Gina and so eloquently put as usual.I don't know where to look first!
    I too LOVE the stripes, and the prints are the "FAB MISSONI" I always look forward to seeing but, Good Grief...."DROP THE FRINGE"!!!! They can be great - even if they have been around a while now!- but, to my mind, it takes a lot to compete with VERSACE who have been using them not only in the most beautiful and original way but managing to keep them looking young. I feel the Missoni collection doesn't have that young touch and therefore is in danger of looking like part of a student "Charity shop Recycling Project" ! (No offence to all you students out there who I am sure could easily improve on the designs!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the fantastic comment!
    I can definitely see where you're coming from on the "Charity Shop Recycle Project" idea.

    I just think this season, for me, Missoni totally missed the boat. However, I'm sure that what they will actually sell in their stores will be a true representation of the classic Missoni we know and love so at least I can take solace in that.

    ReplyDelete