Monday, December 13, 2010

Beauty Review

I find it quite difficult to decide which beauty products to buy over others. Everyday you see so many adverts selling the newest product on the market but how do you know it'll be worth the money? Most of the time, you don't, but by the time you've realised it's not all it's cracked up to be, you've already ripped off the cellophane and taken out quite a sizeable scoop - too late to take it back to the shop. So to try to reduce these disheartening circumstances, I thought I'd start my own little review section of the blog (down the right hand side) where I'll tell you what I think of the recent things I've bought and whether or not you should be buying them too.

The first piece - or set I should say - is something I got as a gift. It's by Bare Minerals and includes a powder foundation, powder bronzer, finishing powder (mineral veil), cocoa butter lip gloss and a brush to apply the powders (I found the collection online for £22).



I am always a little dubious about powder foundations but I have to say, this one gives a lovely, light coverage that doesn't smell make-up-y. As it was a gift, I wasn't sure if the colour would be right for my skin tone but it seems to blend in really well. The bronzer's how-to says to use "a pin head amount", yeah right, I thought, but after applying generously (and regreting it), realised that that advice is, in fact, correct. The finishing powder is said to "set" your make-up. It doesn't seem to rub off onto collars/scarves during the day so it must be doing its job. The lip gloss smells almost good enough to eat and is quite long lasting (but not too sticky). It has a lovely berry, shimmery tint which I think would suit quite a lot of skin tones.



The next things I want to review are products I received in the goody bag I got from the Swarovski event I attended last month (Elina, who came with me, has blogged about it here). Both by Benefit, I got the "Bad Gal" black lash mascara (RRP £15.50) and eye liner (RRP £14). These came at a perfect time since I was using up the last dregs of my dried-out Dior mascara and stumpy Dior eyeliner. I really like both these products. The mascara is a very deep black and really extends the lashes, it's only a small tube though so I'm not sure how long it's going to last. The eyeliner is equally deep in colour and is quite creamy so stays on your eye lids all day. The only thing against it is that it's a fairly thick pencil so it's not easy to draw on a thin line, unless it's really sharp.



Keep an eye out for more reviews!



Maria

1 comment:

  1. I love Bare Minerals, it is so good, so light and makes your skin feel silky. As for Benefit I do love it but know what you mean about the eye pencil being too thick x

    ReplyDelete