Sunday, May 2, 2010

Better Late than Never!

So looking back at older posts, I never posted the "5 minutes with 5 designers" article that I wrote.

So here it is! Sorry for the lateness!





And I know you can't read it from the pictures above so I've put the text below.

5 Minutes, 5 Designers

In the cut throat business of fashion, only a select few succeed. You either have to be very special, or very lucky - or perhaps a bit of both. I recently spoke to five up and coming creative minds and grilled them on what it takes to be successful.

Emilia Bairamova
Fashion Designer


What motivated you to get into the fashion business?
Feeling that it's the right thing to do; that's why I quit my degree in Chemistry.
Where or who do you get your creative inspiration from?
People around me.
What particular trends do you love or hate at the moment?
<3 Androgyny, Balmain inspired shoulders. I dislike wedges.
What do you wish people would take more notice of?
The fact that you only live once.
What makes you stand out from other designers?
Well, I'm not the one to judge…
What advice would you give to people wanting to get into the fashion business?
Be prepared.

Josh Wayman
Shoe Designer


What motivated you to get into shoe designing?
I have always been very interested in women’s shoe designs and I felt there was
a niche in the market for a fun, kitsch yet wearable.
Where or who do you get your creative inspiration from?
In terms of creative inspiration for the label, Kandee, it’s mainly from observing everyday life; whether walking past a candy store or I see someone’s personal style -that then I could adapt to my designs.
What particular trends do you love or hate at the moment?
At the moment, Kandee loves the nautical trend and also the amount of lace being
used in designs, be it clothes or shoes. I particularly hate the loafer men-style shoes. For women that are in fashion at the moment – they look far too manly and I feel women should look like women.
What do you wish people would take more notice of?
Their overall look and individual style.
What makes you stand out from other designers?
We are a fun, contemporary yet still extremely well constructed designs. Kandee
represents the young lady, unique in style and not afraid to go break the rules in
terms of fashion.
What advice would you give to people wanting to get into shoe design?
It is extremely hard work and only 20% is down to design and 80% is down to
business accruement. But in the long term it’s rewarding to see your ideas and
concepts being worn by real women in everyday situations.

Visit Kandee’s Online Boutique: www.kandeeshoes.com
Visit Kandee on Twitter: www.twitter.com/kandeeshoes

Christina Zandes
Fashion Photographer


What motivated you to get into the photography?
Looking at pictures from magazines motivated me to do photography. Looking
through different sorts of photos which have different ways to show the audience
just what the photo is about whether it be for advertisment for a brand like Dior or just for the clothes themselves.
Where or who do you get your creative inspiration from?
James Nader - his work is truely creative, he is one of my favoruite fashion
photographers. Also, capturing important moments or scenesand sharing it with others.
What are you working on at the moment?
Right now i am working on a project about fashion and how young teenagers are
inspired by young celebrities like Miley Cyrus. This is to show the audience how
the media and fashion can take over many peoples' lives. This is also another way to show sterotyping.
What do you wish people would take more notice of?
Photographs are not just a plain photo, it can be a memory, a moment,
or even a piece of art. There is no rules for a good photograph there are
only good photographs.
What makes you stand out from other photographers?
Every photo has a different meaning, everybody stands out, whether it
be the techniques that were required to capture the shot, or where the
shot was taken, there is always a reason as to why you took that one
shot. Everyone is different and see things differently.
What advice would you give to people wanting to get into
photography?
Take photos which are impossible to draw.

To see more from Christina visit -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/christina_zandes

Alexandra Barker
Fashion Designer


What motivated you to get into the fashion business?
I realised I wanted to be a fashion designer when I was 11 I had a game
where you piece various tops, jackets and trousers together in different styles
and I would spend hours drawing these, this drive has just continued and the
fast pace of the style of work almost always means there is never any boredom.
Where or who do you get your creative inspiration from?
My inspiration comes from a multitude of sources, often through musical lyrics,
artists, novels, travelling, but predominently I look to historical background
references and design throughout different ages and cultures as initial inspiration.
What particular trends do you love or hate at the moment?
Hate oversized shoulders on the high street.
What do you wish people would take more notice of?
An interest by men in accessorizing their outfits and wearing some colour,
perhaps more daring.
What makes you stand out from other designers?
I often look to my own background, Westminster born and having grown up
in London, for my design inspiration and it is this history that gives my work
its definition and style.
What advice would you give to people wanting to get into the fashion
business?
Persist!

Sarah Pierce
Beautician and
make-up artist


What motivated you to want to be a beautician?
I wanted to make people look and feel better about themselves. It is a
very theraputic and relaxing job.
Where do you aspire to be in 10 years time?
I would like to own my spa with a fitness studio, as i also love dancing.
What particular looks do you love or hate at the moment?
I hate the VERY fake eyelash extensions. Eyelash extensions are supposed
to look natural and open up your eyes. They are not supposed to be so
thick, so much so that they leave a shadow on your face or go up past your
eyebrows.
What do you wish people would take more notice of?
I wish people didn’t wear as much make up, that doesnt suit their skin tone.
Foundation is supposed to blend in with your skin, and hide any
imperfections, not leave a line around the jawline. It isn’t supposed to be
caked on so thick that they look orange!
What treatments do you most enjoy doing and why?
I enjoy doing treatments that you see a diference with, for examply, nails.
Although I do enjoy doing facials, as people have a lot of concerns about
their face, and I like to help my clients and point them in the right direction
regarding skin care.
What advice would you give to people wanting to be a beautician?
Even though it is a relaxing, theraputic job, it can be quite hard on your
body. You need to ensure good posture at all times, as you are not only
looking after your clients, but looking after yourself aswell.


Loveness,

Maria
X

PS. I received my Vitamin A bikini from Lydia Pili at Omnitrade Fashion this week! So I'll post a couple of photos tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment