Monday, November 30, 2009

Make Do And Mend

This weekend has been very productive for me.

On Saturday I ran all the errands I've been promising myself I'll do for the past few weeks.
I took my Grandmother's white gold, diamond and emerald ring (which I wear all the time) to get polished and cleaned. I really want to preserve it's beauty as it really does mean alot to me, other than that, it is a lovely piece to wear and has become something people recognise me by.

I also took a pair of black, suede, knee-high, heeled boots to be re-heeled. As you probably know by now, I am a great believer of repairing quality, investment items, rather than buying cheaply and throwing something away when it breaks/rips. The new generation of throw-away fashion is really not something I would promote. However, for the fashionistas on a budget, it is certainly a bit of a revelation.

Especially in times of recession , I think it's important to look what you already have in your wardrobe, discover retro or vintage items that you haven't worn in years and take the damaged items to the seamstress. Don't just disregard them as ''has beens'' or not worth fixing, they are! You just need to make the effort to do it. You never know, you might find something that you haven't seen in years and realise that it's now current and really wearable. You might not need to spend so much on clothes this winter. Music to your ears, no? With Christmas imminent we can all benefit from tightening our purse strings.

I also bought a plain black, stretch, mini-skirt from Zara. It fits really well and will go with so many things. (No, still no blazer...) It's really simple but I think it's going to be very useful this winter and then continue on into spring. I plan to wear it with t-shirts and cardigans or jumpers, with tights and flats or my newly heeled boots. It can be dressed up or down so I can see it becoming a new favourite. (Photos to follow later today)

So that was just a quick update on my fashion antics this weekend. I am still working on my portfolio to send to University so hopefully when it's complete I will post some photos from it. Also, I'm working on an article called ''5 minutes with 5 fashion designers'' in which I will interviews five recent fashion graduates. Watch this space on that one! I'm hoping to post the article on here too so that'll be up by the end of the week. Also, in the coming fortnight I plan to post a Christmas gift blog to help give you ideas on what to give people this year.

Lots of things going on on Maria's Ga Ga at the moment so remember to check back every couple of days!

Lots of Loveness,
Maria
X

No comments:

Post a Comment