Friday, August 24, 2012

What's New in Men's Tailoring?

I've been spending the last week as an Editorial Assistant on The Financial Times's supplement How To Spend It mostly sub-editing and fact-checking new pieces of copy. One of the articles I worked on was about men's shirts, and it was really interesting - there is some really cool stuff out there!

As a female, I don't spend an awful lot of time thinking about men's clothing (unless it's arguing with my boyfriend over his tirelessly standard uniform of dark jeans and a jumper) so I decided to do a bit of research into tailoring, but not your standard boxy white shirt and navy tie - tailoring, dare I say it, with a twist.


Now I'm not going to lie, this stuff doesn't come cheap. This post is not for the bargain tailoring buyer or the vanilla dresser, but if you're looking for something a bit different but still completely wearable for the office - look no further.
From £630, Available from the Angelo Galasso store on Hans St, London
Angelo Galasso is a brand I've been introduced to in the past week but that I feel I should have been aware of before. In 1990 he launched his Polso Orologio Shirt (pictured) with signature exposed cuff which consists of an internally lined shirt cuff with a cut away panel to reveal the wearer's wrist watch. It was designed for the former Fiat's President, Gianni Agnelli, who had an allergy dictating that he wear his watch on top of his cuff.


Technicolor trousers optional
Shirt available from Issey Miyake MEN on Conduit St, London
Issey Miyake always designs brilliant, cutting-edge menswear but this time I'm drawn to a decidedly subtler garment. His plain white shirt with asymmetrical button-up front is genius. Worn folded back with a tie like in the show, this is the kind of shirt that looks equally good on the catwalk or under a Hugo Boss suit for the 9-5.

£1085, Hostem.co.uk
I was vaguely aware of Rick Owens before but more for his slouchy, men's casual wear rather than his tailoring. This blazer is again, fairly classic in silhouette and function but is a fun alternative to the standard central two-button fastening.

£320, MrPorter.com
At first glance, these Dolce & Gabanna trousers look like any other pair of smart trousers but with closer inspection, they have a slightly gathered waste and "paper bag" style crotch. I think you'd have to have a pretty specific style and body-type to carry them off but I just think they'd look great with some mahogany brogues and a pair of braces.

£245, MrPorter.com
Last in the apparel department is this white shirt from Valentino. Although classic in shape, it has very subtle, fabric covered studs on the  collars which add a little bit more interest to the eye.

Photo c/o HeartofLight.com
$120, NikolaiRose.com

This last piece is for the more budget-friendly but no less style-conscious suit-wearer. This sweet tie bar by American brand Nikolai Rose can add a little extra detail to your existing wardrobe rather than forking out for new clothes.

I'm flying to Spain on Monday for my final two weeks abroad during this summer holiday and plan to spend most of my time in a horizontal position by my pool and not staring at a computer screen - I'll be doing plenty of that when uni commences again in October. So forgive me if I'm a little absent.

2 comments: